TRABEL PHOTOGUIDES :  Brussels    Bruges    Antwerp    Ghent

 

  BRUSSELS : Buildings and Monuments
  GENERAL
Brussels (Home)

SIGHTSEEING

Monuments

- Market Place
- King's House
- Guild Houses
- Royal Park
- Government
- Sablon square
- Palace of Justice
- Royal Palace
- Cinquantenaire
- Royal Residence
- Heysel-Atomium
- St. Hubert gallery
- Royal Square
- Manneken Pis

Churches
- Cathedral
- Basilica
- Sablon Church
- St. Nicholas
- Church of Laken

Museums

Tourist Attractions

 

THE SABLON SQUARE ("De Zavel or "Le Sablon)

The Little Sablon square with the statues of the Count of Egmont and the Count of Hoorne.The Sablon is one of the most prestigious and attractive areas in Brussels. In recent years it has become the center of the antiques shops and art galleries.

The name of this area refers to the time when it was still situated outside of the city walls of the 12th century. It was originally a sandy road along which people had access to the city gates. Because of frequent use this road had become hollow and on both sides a yellowish earth layer could be seen. This type of sandy clay was called "zavel" in Dutch and "sablon" in French. In the 14th century a small chapel in the sablon area was transformed into an important pilgrimage site where a miraculous statue of Our Lady was venerated. Very soon the area became more populated and was enclosed within the 14th century city walls. Around 1450 the little chapel had been transformed into a beautiful gothic church, the Sablon church or church of Our Lady of the Victories. In the following centuries more and more noble men settled in the area because it was close to the duke's palace.

A big change occurred in the second half of the 19th century. The Sablon was divided into two parts by the construction of the Regentschapstraat/Rue de la Régence. During this period the church was renovated in neo-gothic style and the houses which had been attached to it were demolished. On the eastern side of the church a new park was laid out, called "De kleine zavel/Le petit sablon". This park is still surrounded by 48 little statues representing the medieval guilds of Brussels. In the center is the statue of the counts of Egmont and Hoorne who were executed at the Market Place by order of Philip II of Spain in 1568.

Nowadays, the Sablon is visited by lovers of antiques and art because the entire area boasts hundreds of antiques shops and art galleries. Especially popular is the weekly antiques market which is held on Saturdays from 9 a.m till 6 p.m. and on Sundays from 9 a.m. till 1 p.m. A lot of people also visit the daily flea market (from 6 a.m. till 1 p.m.) which is situated at the Vossenplein/Place du Jeu de Balle in the adjacent Marolles area. Not only famous for its antiques, the Sablon also offers a range of good restaurants and pleasant cafés. A visit to WITTAMER, the most exclusive pastry maker in Brussels, is also a must.

 

© All texts and pictures Copyright Trabel.com and Arakea.com.
Their use is not permitted without prior agreement.
Design by T
he Manta