History of Namur
Namur : Capital of Wallonia
Info on Belgium
Hugo d'Oignies treasure
Namur is also a rich repository
of Mosan artwork, most notably the Treasury of the Priory of Oignies. Among
the treasury's fine objects are many pieces manufactured in the early 13th
century by Brother Hugo
of Oignies, one of the
greatest goldsmiths of the middle ages. Brother Hugo's work includes a
reliquary for a rib of Saint Peter, two astonishing double crosses,
chalices, phylacteries, and an evangelical cover.
Namur is the capital of Namur province as well
as the political capital of Wallonia (the French-speaking Southern part of
Belgium). The city has a population of
105,000. Namur is located at the confluence of the Sambre River and the
( both major waterways), and thus has had a military significance in centuries past that guaranteed continual assault, from Roman times through the second World War.
As a result of having been leveled time
and again, the antiquities in Namur are relatively sparse. Nevertheless, the
city is large and important enough to offer the visitor a wealth of
The Meat Hall is one of the most impressive monuments of Namur. It is
located on the banks of the Sambre and is one of the most important
archeological museums of Wallonia. This building was constructed between 1588 and
1590 and is made from brick and blue stones.
The old St. James tower built in 1385 is Namurs only belfry tower. Located
on the 'Place des Armes', it watches over the city and was used during its
time as a lookout for the city.